Shopping Mall Forum

Cooking Discussion Forum
Cooking Forum - Discuss cooking and recipes!
What are you cooking?™

Cooking Discussion ForumGeneralVegetables › Discuss vegetable meals good for Vegetarians
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Discuss vegetable meals good for Vegetarians (Read 2,580 times)
Cooking Discussion
YaBB Administrator

Cooking Discussion!

Discuss vegetable meals good for Vegetarians
May 17th, 2006 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Discuss vegetable meals good for Vegetarians.

cookingdiscussion.com
IP Logged

girdhar
Ex Member

Re: Discuss vegetable meals good for Vegetarians
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Hi,
Do you have any good recipe for vegetarian that can be done quickly .within the short time span.any reply would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

IP Logged

dnsmith
Cooking Discussion Member

I Love Cooking Discussion

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi,
Do you have any good recipe for vegetarian that can be done quickly .within the short time span.any reply would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Quick and easy to prepare? Yes! Though the cooking time may take a while. It depends on the availability of ingredients. Walmart has in its frozen vegetable repetoire various easy to use vegetables. This is one of my favorites which can be made in a crock pot or in a dutch oven on very low heat - I use low gas with a flame tamer.

Ingredients:

1 package seasoning blend (frozen mixture of onions, sweet pepper, celery, parsely)
1 tbs olive oil
1 cups chopped tomato (if using fresh, peel by dipping into boiling water for about 10 seconds)
2 cups kernel corn
1 tbs chopped garlic
3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat oil, then add all ingredients cooking covered with crock pot on high until bubbling a little. (about 1 hour) Turn to low and cook for 2 hours. Serve on rice. For soup, add about 2 cups water.

Seasoning variations are easy. For curry heat the oil and add the spices, frying for about 5 minutes before adding ingredients.
My personal blend of curry spices are:

1 tsp coriandar
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp black pepper corns
4 whole cloves

AIM  
IP Logged

GreenChic
Cooking Discussion Member

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Creamy potato soup:  simmer potato, onion, garlic, white beans in chicken broth until tender.  puree until smooth.  Can do the same thing with broccoli also for a broccoli soup.

Eggplant is great meat substitute:  thin slice & grill or roast.  then top with smoked mozzarella, tomato & pesto.  OR puree white beans with basil, spread on eggplant & roll up to make "eggplant rollatini". 

Stuffed protobello mushroom is delicious!!!  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frank
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Welcome aboard.

That potato soup sounds like it could be tasty although I think many vegetarians would object to chicken broth.  I imagine that it would seem less tasty to me with vegetable broth, but I will suggest that course as a good substitute to our vegetarian readers.  With maybe a little white wine for some snap & additional flavor.  And try sauteeing half the onions before simmering.

Not exactly vegetarian either, but I like the flavor of genuine cream in my broccoli soup.  For vegetarians and omnivores alike I suggest reserving a few florets (lightly cooked or raw) for garnish.

"Eggplant is great meat substitute"  Now that's how you sell a vegetarian recipe!

(Of course, in my mind, it is only an adequate substitute if one never really liked meat prior to using eggplant.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Cooking Discussion ForumGeneralVegetables › Discuss vegetable meals good for Vegetarians
Cooking Discussion Forum

Shopping Mall Forum

Rules, Privacy Policy and information about cookingdiscussion.com