Shopping Mall Forum

Cooking Discussion Forum
Cooking Forum - Discuss cooking and recipes!
What are you cooking?™

Cooking Discussion ForumGeneralPork Recipes › RIDICULOUS!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic RIDICULOUS! (Read 1,733 times)
Bacon_Patrol
Cooking Discussion Member

I Love Cooking Discussion

RIDICULOUS!
Apr 27th, 2010 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Some subway restaurants have taken upon themselves to ban pork products. Yes - Bacon, Ham and other pork products have been completely banned from their restaurants. Why? Because some of their customers are Islamic and apparently won't eat at subway unless it is 100% halal.
This is totally ridiculous!
I know many people who eat bacon on their subs on a regular basis, and they are up in arms about this - and one site, baconpatrol.com has even setup a petition which I recommend you consider signing on behalf of bacon lovers everywhere. If you don't stand up for your right to choose what you eat then this will be a precedent for the future.

IP Logged

frank
Global Moderator

Re: RIDICULOUS!
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2010 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Stand up for your rights?  Do you mean I have a right to get a pizza at the local Chinese restaurant?

Where were you when Subways went kosher in 2006?  There are in fact far more kosher Subways in a half dozen cities in the US than there are halal locations (2).

The kosher Subways not only do not sell pork products, they also do not serve cheese.

IP Logged

frank
Global Moderator

Re: RIDICULOUS!
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2010 at 11:17am
Print Post  
What's really ridiculous, bacon_patrol, is your almost unbelieveable attitude.  I say almost unbelieveable, because I grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are someone who is young and generally unaware of the world around you.

"If you don't stand up for your right to choose what you eat then this will be a precedent for the future. "

This is exactly why Subway, in only two US locations, has decided to go halal.  Their customers chose what they wanted to eat and that was halal cuisine.

What do you think?  They were doing good business selling ham & cheese hoagies to 99% of their customers, then some folks who were not even customers said "We are offended that you sell pork."  In response, the restaurant decided to eliminate 99% of their sales.

Possibly management looked at the demographic of their custom and said "Hey, if we go halal, we will increase  business."n  You think maybe?

You have the right to choose what you want to eat and where you want to eat.  What you don't have is the right to tell someone selling food what they have to sell.

I stopped at an upscale glat kosher restaurant.  Glat kosher is stricter than plain old kosher.  I had called beforehand and asked if I could bring wine.  that was permitted, but when I was arrived, they told me I could not drink or even open my wine in their food service area because the wine was not kosher.

What a problem huh?  What choice did I have?  Well, I could stay and eat their offerings but not drink my wine or I could go somewhere else and drink my wine.  Pretty good choices.  I stayed then drank the wine later.  Was that so hard?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Cooking Discussion ForumGeneralPork Recipes › RIDICULOUS!
Cooking Discussion Forum

Shopping Mall Forum

Rules, Privacy Policy and information about cookingdiscussion.com